Frequently Asked Questions
You've got questions, we've got answers!
- When should I call Macy Movers?
- As with any moving company, it is best to give your mover at least 2 weeks notice. This will allow you to get the best service without cutting corners. Should you need to move locally in a few days, we can generally accomodate you, depending on the time of year. If you moving long distance or interstate, you should call about 2-3 weeks before your move so we can get you a complete, in-home estimate.
- How are your estimates calculated?
Our estimator will need to visit your home to conduct a visual survey of the all of the items you plan to move. This will determine the approximate cost based on the amount of items you are moving and their weight and give you a written estimate. An accurate estimate cannot be calculated without a visual survey of the items to be moved. There is no charge for this estimate.
A visual survey usually takes no more than an hour. Remember to show the estimator everywhere you have items that need to be moved (attic, basement, sheds/storage, etc.) This will ensure that you get a more accurate estimate.
Keep in mind that estimates are only guidelines. On interstate, international and overseas shipments, you must pay the total charges as determined by the actual weight of your shipment, the distance it travels and the services that you authorize or which become necessary to handle your shipment (such as tariffs).
- What are my responsibilities?
- When moving with us, please:
- Be present during the packing of your belongings if packing service is requested.
- Being available at the time of pickup and delivery of your shipment.
- Take personal responsibility for jewelry and other high value items.
- Check and sign the inventory of your belongings.
- Ensure that no prohibited items are packed. You can download our Non Movable Items list here.
- So what can or can’t I take with me?
- Generally speaking, dispose of all flammable items, liquids, foods and other items that should not be shipped. Anything that can deteriorate should not be shipped. If you have a question about something, just call and ask. You can also review our Non Movable Items list. If you have any questions pertaining to the list, you can ask your estimator or call us at the office at (510) 444-0100.
- What about my car?
- Most of the time, we can take your car(s), truck or SUV with the rest of your belongings in the trailer or container. If this is not possible, we can arrange for an alternate method. We do not transport cars as part of a regular local move.
- Suppose I pack myself?
- Packing your own items is always an option but be aware of the potential problems. For instance, valuation coverage (insurance coverage) will not pay out on goods packed by their owner, unless the exterior of the box is damaged. Talk to your estimator for more information regarding packing items yourself versus letting us pack them for you.
- How long will Macy Movers take to pack my goods?
- Every home is different, but we can normally pack a home in 1-2 days. Multi-level homes and higher end items may take more time. Your estimator can give you a more accurate packing timeline after doing a walk through with you.
- Can I leave my clothes in their drawers?
- Yes, you can but the added weight can make the dresser more difficult to move. Also, be sure not to leave anything solid that can damage the piece or fragile that may break due to not being properly wrapped.